Apple & Banana Oatmeal
- 1/4 cup uncooked steel cut oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon, divided in two
- 1/2 tbsp raw sugar, divided in two (can substitute agave nectar or two packets of stevia sweetener)
- 1/4 of a medium apple, sliced
- 1/2 of a ripe medium banana, sliced
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- cooking spray or vegan margarine, for frying
Place 1 cup water in a pot and bring to a boil. Add oats and stir. Allow to thicken on high for a few minutes, then reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the oats have reached desired level of chewiness. Towards the end of cooking, add in 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tbsp sugar or sweetener and stir. Place sliced apples, bananas, and the remainder of the sugar and cinnamon in a small frying pan with cooking spray and fry over medium-high, stirring until fruit has softened and caramelized slightly. Combine steel cut oats, fruit, and almond milk and stir. Enjoy immediately!
Other yummy toppings could include vegan chocolate chips, chopped nuts, or shredded coconut.