This is a different take on my chocolate banana bread that turned out even better. I love banana bread because you don't need to use any extra sugar. It's so easy to make it healthy, especially when you use walnuts and chia seeds, which are both good fats. I attacked this loaf as soon as it came out of the oven, which could be why there's only six pieces in the photos even if the recipe yields eight...
Chia Walnut Banana Bread
Makes 8 slices
- 3 brown bananas, mashed
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 + 1/2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- dash of sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a small loaf pan with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, chia seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt. In a separate bowl, combine mashed bananas and vanilla extract.
3. In two batches add dry ingredients to wet ones and combine well.
4. Fold in chopped walnuts and then pour batter into loaf pan, making sure that it sits evenly.
5. Bake for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean!
I hate to use it but...moist. Ugh. The bread was moist. There! I said it!