Saturday, February 11, 2012

Tofu Scramble a la Lilly



Tofu Scramble a la Lilly

Serves 1
  • 3 oz. extra-firm tofu (1/5 of a block, I use Trader Joe's organic)
  • 1/2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
  • 1/4 tablespoon Dijon mustard (I use whole grain, but any variety is fine)
  • a liberal sprinkling each of garlic powder, onion powder, ground turmeric, and ground cumin
  • a handful of fresh baby spinach (or any other quick-cooking veggie of choice, I also use kale)
  • 1 slice of your favorite bread
Slice your tofu. I recommend pressing it first. I don't use any fancy pressers, I just wrap the block in a few paper towels, slap it on my cutting board, and press down with my frying pan for about a minute. You don't need to press it much; with the tofu scramble, a little moisture is your friend. Put the tofu in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Divide it into small chunks with the edge of your spatula. Meanwhile, toast your bread of choice. Mine is Food for Life Ezekiel 4:9 Sesame Bread. Put down that Wonder Bread and try it. It's delicious. Add the nutritional yeast and Dijon to the pan and toss with the spatula to make sure that the tofu is well coated. Repeat with the spices. Once your tofu mixture is nice and hot, add the spinach and mix it in, allowing the leaves to wilt. See those crispy bits of charred spices stuck to the pan? Scrape them with the spatula and mix them in too, they're so flavorful! Assemble by placing the tofu scramble atop your bread. So easy, so good. Let's get a close up.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Made this for my pregnant sister this morning! We aren't vegan but still really love tofu and this recip turned out amazing! I added tomatoes and avocado and it was phenomenal! Thanks for the great recipe! I look forward to trying some of your others :)